Sunday, March 28, 2010

Sunday Inquirer Magazine featured Carlo Miguels Weight Loss Journey

FEATURE : This Big Loser is a Huge Winner

By Leica Carpo
Contributor
Philippine Daily Inquirer

Posted date: March 27, 2010

He’s only runner-up in “The Biggest Loser Asia” reality show, but for Sala and Sala Bistro chef Carlo Miguel, losing 49 kg (108 lbs) is, like the ad says, priceless

THE EVIL twin to this nation’s favorite pastime of eating is, ironically enough, endless talk about weight loss.

If the chatter has been more frenzied than usual in the past few weeks, blame it on Hallmark Channel’s reality TV show, “The Biggest Loser Asia,” which had among its final four Carlo Miguel, the thirtysomething executive chef of Sala and Sala Bistro.

No, Carlo didn’t win the $100,000 pot and the car; this Indonesian guy who lost 83 kg (182 lbs) beat him to it. But Carlo considers himself a huge winner in this show that has a group of grossly overweight individuals fighting a battle royale on the scale. Whoever loses the most poundage over a three-month period of closely-supervised exercise and diet routine, wins.

Carlo says he is quite satisfied with the final outcome, “I never entered the show for the money. I would have done it for no money. Health is wealth and being fit, being able to live long and spend quality time with family is priceless to me. Worth all the pain and hard work.”

At 6’2” and 132 kg (290 lbs), Carlo was used to being called “fat.” Chubby since he was eight, he was definitely considered obese by his adolescent years. It was only after the show, in March 2010, and now weighing 83 kg (182 lbs) that he finds himself being described as “normal” and shopping for clothes in regular sized boutiques.



Along with the new wardrobe came a different and more serious sense of self. “Being more energetic makes my day to day life so much easier. But I think that the best thing is that I feel I’m now in control of my life and my weight,” he declares.

The route to this newfound self-respect wasn’t easy. He had to lose at least 49 kg (108 lbs) and endure separation from his newly pregnant wife for three months. But she kept him going, says Carlo. “The image of my wife smiling and telling me how happy and proud she is of me when I eventually return home would spur me on and even bring me to tears at times.”

Keeping the pounds off is just as tough. Killer workouts aside, he had to learn to curb his appetite while maintaining the passion for food that defines his living. This chef has acquired a new habit: spitting out the food he cooks after tasting it to keep his frame lean.

He says: “Being the executive chef at Sala and Sala Bistro presents the biggest challenge as this is where all my uncounted and uncontrolled calories come from. It also fills my days and keeps me from working out at times.” He had to learn to deal with it, he adds, because “never [making] excuses is now part of my life.”



Carlo’s story and those of other contestants on the show has become a source of inspiration to many, portraying as it did how real-life losers can become huge winners by sheer dint of will and discipline.

So what advice does Carlo have for people starting on a weight loss program but have found themselves reaching a plateau in their progress?



There are no miracle diets or effortless exercise programs, he says. “You have to be prepared to go where others haven’t gone before. It is purely a lifestyle change and the only ways to achieve results are through discipline and hard work. As for reaching a plateau, the only way out is to smash through it by increasing your intensity.”
In a SIM interview, Carlo shares his other thoughts on weight loss:

Sunday Inquirer Magazine (SIM): The common impression is that fat people are happy. Are you still happy, or are you happier now?

Carlo Miguel (CM): I am definitely happier and more energetic. I feel great because I now have control over my weight.

SIM: What is your next health goal?

CM: I want to balance my eating and training towards a regime that can be set for life. I believe that I am at the stage when weight loss is no longer necessary. I would like to gain a little muscle and perhaps, after my wife gives birth, we can train together towards completing a triathlon.

SIM: How has weight loss affected your career, family life and sex life?

CM: As for my career, I am generally more energetic so I can get more things done. I also think of balance and health when creating new dishes. My family life has been most rewarding as I now have a new lease on life at home. I used to be too tired to do anything when I get home from work, sometimes falling asleep mid-conversation with my wife. Now I feel that I am truly a functioning member of my family with the energy to be an active husband and father to my wife and daughter on the way. As for my sex life, I am a gentleman, so let’s just say that stamina helps a lot.

SIM: What do you eat regularly? What about on cheat days?

CM: I usually eat lean protein such as fish or egg whites, lots of fruits, vegetables and grains with little refinement such as whole wheat bread. On cheat days, I sometimes indulge in a low-fat sugar-free frozen yogurt or sushi. I love the clean flavors of Japanese food.

SIM: How often do you work out?

CM: At the ranch (in Malaysia, where the contestants of “The Biggest Loser Asia” stayed), we were training up to 12 hours a day. When I was still competing, I try to work out at least four hours a day. With the show over, I plan to maintain about an hour or one hour and a half hours of workout a day to keep healthy.

SIM: Would you do this again?

CM: Yes I would, as I am so overwhelmed with the results.

SIM: Would you gain all (the pounds) back for money?

CM: Not a chance. Money does not drive me at all. It’s not what matters in life. I never went into this for the money.

No comments:

Post a Comment